Snacks. Always a controversial issue when it comes to dieting. Yet to some extent I do feel they are needed to stave off hunger. So today I will make a list of my favorite healthy snacks to have and the ones I do my best to avoid.
Top 5 “Healthy” Snacks
1. Salad (100-200 Calories)-Every day I will make a salad, usually with romaine lettuce, carrots, basil, oregano, olive oil and a bit of Parmesan Cheese.
2. Fruit (~100 Calories)-I try to incorporate fruit into my diet every day. Common ones include Blueberries, Banana’s, Blackberry’s, Oranges and Apples. I find I feel better after having a bit of fruit. They also supply an ample amount of vitamins and even anti-oxidants.
3. Tea (0 Calories)-I’m not sure whether Tea qualifies as a snack or not, but, I often find it reduces my hunger. My favorites include, Green tea and Tulsi tea. I’m still getting into the whole drinking tea on a consistent basis but I definitely find it helps.
4. Carrots (25-50 Calories)-This is a low calorie option that I find delicious. Usually you can eat a whole lot of carrots for under 50 calories and it fills you up. If you find carrots by themselves boring you can always introduce a low calorie dip such as guacamole or hummus.
5. Seeds/Nuts-Almonds, Peanuts, Sunflower Seeds etc.., They may be higher in calories and fat, but it is usually the good type of fat and they have other essential nutrients that the body needs.
Top “Unhealthy” Snacks
1. Chips/Nachos-One of the easiest and high calorie foods for me to overeat. Just 15 of these chips is around 120 calories, plus at least 100 calories of cheeseand other toppings and sauces this snack can come in at the low end of 400 “Bad” calories. More likely, in the past I would have at least 30 chips and more than 200 calories of cheese as well as black beans, sour cream and guacamole. This would end up over 500 calories.
2. Cookies-Not as big of a weakness as nachos for me. They are still quite the temptation when you go to get togethers. One cookie doesn’t seem too bad, but when you add them up over the course of a day or week it is completely unnecessary calories.
3. Taco Bell/Fast Food-Yes, I used to consider this a snack. I would go and get a burrito or taco at night with some friends. It definitely played a role in my weight gain after Atkins and I hope to never gain that weight again. I haven’t had Taco Bell or any fast food other than Chipotle since around October.